Saturday, July 7, 2007

Welcome/4th of July/Etc.

Hello there, and welcome to pop*creep.
I've been thinking about starting this for quite some time. I finally got a spare moment, so here we go.

I moved to Cambridge, MA from rural Maine about three months ago. So far I have managed to land a quirky but amazingly enjoyable job at a puppet theater and another less-exciting job at a cinema that shows mainly foreign and independent films. When i am not working, I am wandering around the city looking for weird signs, shows, and street performers. I moonlight as a mime and singer-songwriter... so really, I am a busy girl. Why not add a blog to the mix, right?

I recently experienced my first Boston Fourth of July. Rather than braving the 500,000 strong crowds on the Esplanade, I climbed up the back staircase to my roof. Surprisingly, there was no one there. To be fair, it was raining.

I shot this shitty video with my camera phone. The fireworks were MUCH more impressive in person. Trust me.


A few days ago I went to a Polyphonic Spree show at the Avalon (across the street from Fenway Park) it was AMAZING. After the show I found this sign:

I have never seen such a sign. I was told that these are pretty common in the area... but it brings to mind roving see-saws. This is something I never considered when re-locating. Thank goodness I don't drive.

pop*creep recommends:
SiCKO
Michael Moore may be more famous for his antics and habit of ignoring hard facts in order to tell a more entertaining story... but SiCKO is still a film that every American should see and be pissed off by.
Hazyland Soap Company
Wonderful veggie-based home-made soap from Maine. All natural scents and dyes. They also make unscented and color-free soaps. Cruelty free and fantastic.
Christina's Ice Cream
Located in Inman Square, Christina's makes some awesome ice cream. Generous servings for not-so-much cash. My current favorite is their Fresh Mint.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I need to take some pictures of this sign I found in Richmond outside Doug's gallery show. A guy on the street was like, "Oh, yeah, they're all over the place." They're like anthems layered in street art. I think they're cool.