Tuesday, April 22, 2008

pop*creep suggests/wants

Oh hi there.
I was wondering if it would be cool with you guys (I use the plural perhaps a tad prematurely) if I posted an update.

Yeah?
Boss.

Alright then.
These are things I like and/or want.

Like:

FILM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall: Most of you were probably too busy watching The Forbidden Kingdom this past weekend to catch the new Apatow-produced vehicle. That's fine, I understand your desire to see Jet Li FINALLY tear Jackie Chan a new one (I hear you, and submitted to the same desire). What you missed out on was a clever, sweet, crude and thoroughly entertaining film. To be honest I haven't liked the last few Apatow movies. Knocked Up left me thinking "You know... in real life Katherine Heigl would have had an abortion" (I know, I know. That wasn't what the movie was "about", but whatever) and Superbad's post American Pie sight-gags left me a little cold (though I am a huge fan of the cast). Sarah Marshall on the other hand was a great return to the 40-Year Old Virgin blend of gross-out humor and tenderness that made me love Judd Apatow films in the first place. Stellar cast, great one-liners, and gratuitous male nudity. It'll make you want to B your L on someone's Ts.

BEVERAGE
Enviga: Yeah... it is a glorified energy drink. Yes, it is manufactured by the Coca-Cola Company and is probably Satan's elixir. But DAMN I love this stuff. It comes in three varieties: Berry, peach, and green tea. The berry is my favorite. It gives you a nice boost without the jitters you get from Red Bull or Rock Star (and it tastes much MUCH better). It is being marketed as a "Calorie-burner" which I don't give a shit about... I just like it as an alternative to coffee.

Arizona Green Tea Red Apple: While we're talking about green tea, let's discuss Arizona Green Tea Red Apple briefly. Delicious.

Snake Bite: 1/2 lager, 1/2 cider... all tasty.

EVENT
Recod Store Appreciation Day: ...was this past Saturday. I know, I know... but better late than never. I dropped more bank than I should have at four different Newbury Comics locations on records and CDs. There were in-stores and free swag. "Lucky" customers got to watch Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls paint at the Harvard Square Newbury Comics, and folks on Newbury Street saw Mates of State. Regina Spektor played at a shop in Brooklyn and everyone got sweet deals. Hopefully RSAD happens again next year.

MUSIC
Constantines + Feist "Islands in the Stream": Kids born in the early '80s like me are likely more familiar with "Ghetto Superstar" than they are with the classic recorded and made famous by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton (and written by the Bee Gees). Hell, the song is the same age as I am. At any rate, the Constantines and fellow Canadian Feist do the song some sweet and smooth justice on their new album "Kensington Heights" and I heartily suggest you check it out. Slow, sexy, and haunting. Do the right thing and drop some change on it.

PLACES
The Arnold Aboretum: I recently spent an evening strolling around the Arboretum. It was gorgeous and relaxing. There are fabulous views of Boston and cool trees and plants to look at.

Forest Hills Cemetary: Another great place to take a walk, especially now that the flowers are a bloomin'.

Want:

THINGS
Absinthe Lollipops: First the US prohibition on Absinthe was lifted, then some wacky candy makers in San Fransisco had a brainstorm. I haven't tried these, but the former Gawth in me is intrigued. The closest retailer is in Providence, but hell... these little babies might be worth a mini car trip.

And that is all.

1 comment:

imperialfriend said...

absynthe lollipops(!)piqued my interest and i clicked to see about ordering and the suckers (uh huh) are $2.50 each! at that price i want to see the alcohol content!

p.s. i confess to drinking the ocassional enviga too.