Monday, January 7, 2008

Resolution/There will be no country for old men

I bet you're probably wondering what I have resolved to do this year, beloved solo reader. I bet it has been keeping you up at night, nagging you like an unfortunate case of poison sumac.

Rest easy dear friend for I have the antidote to your irritated flesh: My New Years Resolution.

I resolve to write more.
I know CRAZY. Especially for someone who spent five hard years in college studying away for a degree in writing ( to be fair, two of those years were spent studying Art and Music - lot of good that did me).

That said, I've seen two films in the past three days: No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood by The Coen Brothers and P.T. Anderson respectively. Both are heavy dramas with subtle touches of the absurd. Both films filled me with dread and unease. Both were period pieces that utilize desolate landscapes to showcase the greed and insanity of the main characters.

And of course, both have already gotten critical acclaim up the wazoo, so everything I'm saying is just another drop in the bucket.

I'm not sure how much longer these films will be in theaters, but I do recommend seeing them. I take no responsibility for any loss of sleep relating to Daniel Day Lewis's mustache or Javiar Bardem's hair.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the release of Be Kind Rewind, Michel Gondry's latest effort just to lighten my mood. Seriously, I think 2007 was the year of the Sweeping But Unsettling Epic.

Or just the year of the slow-talkin Texan:





No comments: