Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wild Speculatin': OSCAR Edition

You probably know this, but the OSCAR nominations are out! You also know what a movie nerd I am.

Of course with the Writer's Strike still in effect, there is no guarantee that the Jon Stewart hosted telecast will go on. I personally hope that some sort of agreement can be reached with the WGA because I really, really love that tribute they always do for dead Hollywood types. Also, the Globe press conference made me twitch.

So, without further ado: Wild Speculatin'

Actor in a Leading Role:
I want: Johnny Depp to win...
Gold Guy Goes To: Daniel Day-Lewis
I'm Pissed Because: Where's James McAvoy for Atonement?

Actor in a Supporting Role:
I want: Casey Affleck because he was BRILLIANT in Assassination.
Gold Guy Goes To: Javier Bardem (though a case can be made for Phillip Seymour Hoffman)
I'm Pissed Because: Where is Paul Schneider for Assassination? I mean, yeah, no one has heard of him, but he was most certainly a stand-out both in that film, and as Ryan Gosling's older brother in Lars.

Actress in a Lead Role:
I Want: Ellen Page. Not because I think she's all that great, but because she's the one I can stand.
Gold Guy Goes To: Marion Cotillard because she got the Globe.
I'm Pissed Because: I HATED La Vie En Rose.

Actress in a Supporting Role:
I Want: Saorise Ronan (Atonement).
Gold Guy Goes To: Cate Blanchett because she played a man.
I'm Pissed Because: Where's Kelly Macdonald for No Country? She was adorable and subtle.

Animated Feature Film:
I have yet to see any of the nominated films in this category, but I'm rooting for Persepolis.

Art Direction:
I want: Sweeney Todd
Gold Guy Goes To: There Will Be Blood
I'm Pissed Because: Where's Assassination?

Cinematography:
I Want: Assassination
Gold Guy Goes To: No Country
I'm Pissed Because: -

Costume Design:
I Want: Sweeney Todd.
Gold Guy Goes To: Sweeney Todd.
I'm Pissed Because: There's another nod for La Vie En Rose.

Directing:
I Want: PTA
Gold Guy Goes To: The Coen Bros
I'm Pissed Because: No Atonement? No Assassination? JUNO got nominated in THIS category?

Documentary Film:
I Want: Sicko
Gold Guy Goes To: No End In Sight
I'm Pissed Because: King of Kong didn't even make the short list.

Documentary Short
I did not see any of the nominated films.

Film Editing:
I Want: There Will Be Blood
Gold Guy Goes To: No Country
I'm Pissed Because: -

Foreign Language Film:
I did not see any of the nominated films.

Makeup:
I want: Ugh.
Gold Guy Goes To: La Vie En Rose
I'm Pissed Because: Norbit seriously got nominated. Also, where's Sweeney Todd?

Music (Score)
I want: Atonement
Gold Guy Goes To: Atonement?
I'm Pissed Because: Nothing for Nick Cave and Warren Ellis for Assassination.

Music (Song)
I Want: Enchanted (I guess)
Gold Guy Goes To: Enchanted. Come on, the odds are with Alan Menken on this one.
I'm Pissed Because: I sort of liked that Eddie Vedder song from Into the Wild

Best Picture:
I want: Atonement
Gold Guy Goes To: No Country
I'm Pissed Because: Where's Assassination?

Short Film: Animated and Live:
I did not see any of the films nominated in these categories.

Sound Editing:
I Want: There Will Be Blood
Gold Guy Goes To: Transformers
I'm Pissed Because: Sunshine got shut out in the one category it would have cleaned house in.

Sound Mixing:
I don't care. No Country will get it, Sunshine deserved it.

Visual Effects:
I Want: Golden Compass.
Gold Guy Goes To: Pirates
I'm Pissed Because: Sunshine?

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
I Want: Atonement
Gold Guy Goes To: No Country
I'm Pissed Because: While There Will Be Blood is a fantastic film, I don't think it is fair that it was nominated in this category. PTA only loosely based his screenplay on OIL! the Sinclair Lewis novel. Also, where's Assassination?

Writing (Original Screenplay)
I want: Lars and the Real Girl or Juno
Gold Guy Goes To: Micheal Clayton
I'm Pissed Because: Lars won't win.

No comments: